ELIAMEP is an independent, private, non-partisan, non-governmental research organisation, the best of its kind in Greece. The ELIAMEP Middle East Research Project (MERP) was established in 2010 to promote the study, articulation and preparation of strategies for the Middle East in various fields. MERP is tasked to carry out strategic studies in various political, economic, cultural and international fields. MERP focuses on significant policy issues related to the Middle East today and in the future. MERP was formed to promote understanding through regional dialogue.
In a globalized world MERP’s objective is to contribute to the promotion of political, economic and cultural understanding on one side, and economic collaboration on the other. In order to meet such a macro policy goal all players should engage in dialogue on various policy issues. These players include entrepreneurs, government officials, policy-makers, the private sector, academics, NGOs, international organizations and the media. MERP’s vision to analyse the interplay between economics and politics is essential for understanding economic cooperation and geopolitical challenges in the Middle East. It is based on the following tripartite scheme:
– Politics. The way to make collective decisions. In theMiddle East politics pertains every aspect of daily life.
– Economics and politics. Both represent methods by societies to make decisions on who gets what and how. Economy plays a vital role in the struggle between tradition and transformation in the Middle Eastern societies.
– Culture and politics. Culture is the foundation on which every activity is carried out, building a geopolitical consensus between various countries and civilizations. TheMiddle East is the hotspot in the East-West cultural antagonism.
MERP attempts to develop a deeper understanding of macroeconomic and geopolitical developments in theMiddle Eastin order to raise awareness and shape public debate. MERP is:
- A forum for entrepreneurs, policy-makers, government officials, NGOs, scholars and the media to cooperate on geopolitical, economic and cultural issues.
- A research and policy centre, producing reports on important geopolitical, economic and cultural issues influencing the political and business environment in theMiddle East. Thus it offers a range of advising services in the form of strategic business insights, enabling potential regional partners to join forces and develop promising partnerships.
1. Research (Papers and Reports)
The MERP papers and reports focus on geopolitical and economic developments, debates as well as policies, affecting the future of the Middle East. The MERP conducts research in the fields of politics, economics and culture in the Middle East, aiming to boost relations between Greeceand the Middle Eastas well as Middle Eastern corporations per se. From the beginning of 2015 MERP participates in the Social Media Project of the Panayia Yeniköy Community Foundation in Istanbul.
A group of professionals provide specific wide range business consulting and advising services.
Middle East Mediterranean
Issue no. 1
Issue no. 2
Issue no. 3
Issue no. 4
Issue No. 5
Issue No. 6
Issue No. 8
Issue No. 9
Issue No. 10
Issue No. 11
Issue No 12
Issue No 13
Issue No 14
Issue No 15
Issue No 16
Issue No 17
Isuue No 18
Issue No 19
The Palestine News Forum is an online news platform and part of the ELIAMEP Middle East Research Project, focusing on political, economic and cultural news and developments regarding Palestine and Palestinian-Greek relations. More information is available here.
- The MERP Lecture Series: Entrepreneurs, policymakers, diplomats, academics and governmental officials provide insights on various issues of Middle Eastern interest.
- The MERP Middle East Roundtables: Events held throughout the year, focusing on the basics and complexities of policies and developments.
The Middle East Research Project Team
Dr. Venetis Evangelos, Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies, ELIAMEP
Dr. Ilias-Tembos, Evangelos, Expert-First Counsellor, Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs (EU Affairs & EU Policy on Defense) & Senior Research Fellow of ELIAMEP
Dr. Tzogopoulos, Georgios, Media and Politics, ELIAMEP
Dr. Dokos Thanos, Director General, ELIAMEP
Mr. Voulelis Nicolas, Director, The Journalists’ Newspaper
Dr. Alobeid Aref, Arab Studies, Independent Scholar
Dr. Tsakiris, Theodoros, Geopolitics of Energy, ELIAMEP
Mr. Touloumakos Pantelis, Turkish Studies,University of Athens
Dr. Maroukis, Thanos, Migration Studies, ELIAMEP
Prof. Sharma, Shalendra, Economics,University of San Francisco,USA
Prof. Andreas Theophanus, Political Economy,University of Nicosia,Cyprus
Dr. Sonay, Ali, Arab Studies,University of Bamberg,Germany
Dr. Ghandour-Demiri, Nada,Palestine Expert,University of Bristol,UK
Dr. Ioannis Grigoriadis, Turkish Studies, University of Bilkent,Turkey
Ms. Ververidou, Maria, Turkish Studies, the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Ms. Georgopoulou Marina, European Affairs, Independent Researcher