The project is geared towards enhancing the knowledge and debate about the European integration project and the role of citizens. Within and beyond a network of renowned policy institutes specialising in EU affairs, the partners intend to enhance (i) participatory and (ii) representative democracy and (iii) accountability in the EU, and thereby strive “Towards a Citizens’ Union” (2CU).
2CU fosters the dialogue between the academic world and policy-makers and to build bridges between different communities. The defined target group captures a wide cross-section of interlocutors, e.g. other think tankers, academics, politicians, national and EU-level policy-makers, representatives of civil society organisations (CSOs), and journalists.
The project’s objectives are:
– To inform and influence national and EU-level debates about the citizens’ union
– To advance knowledge and experience of (young) researchers
– To advance the study area at (inter)national level
Its activities include:
- Organizing research workshops to simulate negotiations in the 3 key subject areas, “researchers-meet-EU policy-makers” seminars to gain feedback, and public outreach events to stimulate debate in capitals across Europe.
- Producing a series of policy briefs, published online and disseminated widely, as well as a final report synthesising findings and offering policy recommendations.
The project will be carried out by a consortium of 19 partners
- CENTRE FOR EUROPEAN POLICY STUDIES
- CENTRE FOR LIBERAL STRATEGIES
- EUROPEAN INSTITUTE FOUNDATION
- ISTITUTO AFFARI INTERNAZIONALI
- SABIEDRISKAS POLITIKAS CENTRS PROVIDUS
- Latvijas Arpolitikas instituts
- FUNDACJA INSTYTUT SPRAW PUBLICZNYCH
- EUROPEAN DIN ROMANIA
- Centre for International Information and Documentation
- Centre for European Reform
- Carnegie Europe
- STIFTUNG WISSENSCHAFT UND POLITIK
- Österreichische Gesellschaft für Europapolitik
- Institute of International Relations
- Tænketanken Europa
- WISEEUROPA – FUNDACJA WARSZAWSKI INSTYTUT STUDIOW EKONOMICZNYC
- FUNDACION REAL INSTITUTO ELCANO DE ESTUDIOS INTERNACIONALES
- SLOVENSKA SPOLOCNOST PRE ZAHRANICNU POLITIKU
- Finnish Institute of International Affairs
Duration of the project: 1/09/2017 – 31/08/2020
Contact persons at ELIAMEP
Dr. Filippa Chatzistavrou
Co-funded by Erasmus+ Jean Monnet actions 2017