The project “Climate Resilient Regions through Systemic Solutions and Innovations” is financed by the European Commission (Horizon 2020) and is coordinated by the University of Thessaly. It brings together 41 partners from 15 countries and intends to be a game-changer for shaping pathways to resilience by delivering regional innovation packages that build an ecosystem to develop and implement innovative climate change adaptation measures and solutions across Europe.
Acknowledging that climate change is complex and strongly connected to other global challenges, such as food insecurity, water scarcity, biodiversity depletion and environmental degradation, it is insufficient to use traditional approaches to innovation that focus on one aspect of the problem.
Systems Innovation Approach (SIA) addresses the developing complexity, interdependencies and interconnectedness of contemporary societies and economies, covering the functions of the cross-sectoral system as a whole and the respective variety of stakeholders. The Climate Innovation Window (CIW) refers to the European Union’s innovations marketplace for climate adaptation technologies. Towards this direction, the ARSINOE project, starting from 1 October 2021 and for the next four years will develop a methodological framework for the combination of SIA with the CIW to create an ecosystem under a three-tier approach: (a) integration of multi-faceted technological, digital, business, governance and environmental aspects with social innovation for the development of adaptation pathways to climate change, so as to meet EU Green Deal targets for specific regions; (b) linkage with CIW to form innovation packages by matching innovators with end-users/regions; (c) fostering the ecosystem sustainability and growth with cross-fertilization and replication across scales, at European level and beyond, using appropriate business models and exploitation-outreach actions.
ELIAMEP, as a partner of the ARSINOE consortium, will organize annually two Youth Assembly simulations, engaging secondary and tertiary education students, as well as one Training for Trainers (T4T) seminar with the participation of secondary education teachers and municipal employees of the Athens Metropolitan area. The specially designed local and/or regional simulations will foster dialogue and social consensus, offering participants the chance to gain first-hand experience on participatory decision-making processes. The preparatory activities will also involve local authorities and will be supported by the Hellenic Forum for Sustainable Development (ELFOVA) established by ELIAMEP and the Brussels-based Foundation for Global Governance and Sustainability (FOGGS). During the simulations and seminars, secondary and tertiary education students and teachers and municipal employees will shape their communities’ Green Deals, after having participated in other interactive activities, such as measuring their schools’ carbon footprints, identifying local environmental problems and vulnerabilities. The results will be presented by the students to their local communities as a contribution, encouragement and commitment to action.
These initiatives aim to become an alternative teaching programme or a complementary element to school curricula, introducing local/regional Green Deals among and by young people, triggering a bottom-up and community-based approach.
Emmanouella Doussis: Scientific Coordinator
Lydia Avrami: Project Manager
Georgios Kostakos: Advisor
Members of the project team
- PANEPISTIMIO THESSALIAS EL (Coordinator)
- ATHENS UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS – RESEARCH CENTER EL
- KWR WATER B.V. NL
- DANMARKS TEKNISKE UNIVERSITET DK
- THE UNIVERSITY OF EXETER UK
- UNIVERSITE DE TOURS FR
- ATHINA-EREVNITIKO KENTRO KAINOTOMIAS STIS TECHNOLOGIES TIS PLIROFORIAS, TON EPIKOINONION KAI TIS GNOSIS EL
- LUDWIG-MAXIMILIANS-UNIVERSITAETMUENCHEN DE
- AGENCIA ESTATAL CONSEJO SUPERIOR DEINVESTIGACIONES CIENTIFICAS ES
- INSTITUTE OF COMMUNICATION AND COMPUTER SYSTEMS EL
- TECHNOLOGIKO PANEPISTIMIO KYPROU CY
- FUNDACION DE LA COMUNIDAD VALENCIANA PARA LA INVESTIGACION, PROMOCION Y ESTUDIOS COMERCIALES DE VALENCIAPORT ES
- ARISTOTELIO PANEPISTIMIO THESSALONIKIS EL
- MIDDLE EAST TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY TR
- INSTITUTUL NATIONAL DE CERCERTARE DEZVOLTARE PENTRU STIINTE BIOLOGICE RA RO
- PRIVATE SCIENTIFIC INSTITUTION, INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH IN ENVIRONMENT, CIVIL ENGINEERING AND ENERGY SKOPJE MK
- AGRIS SARDEGNA – AGENZIA PER LA RICERCA IN AGRICOLTURA IT
- CENTRO DI RICERCA, SVILUPPO E STUDI SUPERIORI IN SARDEGNA, SOCIETA A RESPONSABILITA LIMITATA -CRS4 IT
- UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI CAGLIARI IT
- UNIVERSIDAD DE LA LAGUNA ES
- INSTITUTO GEOLOGICO Y MINERO DE ESPAÑA ES
- GAC FR
- LNH Water DK
- ETAIREIA ANAPTYXIS KAI TOURISTIKIS PROVOLIS ATHINON – ANAPTYXIAKI ANONYMOS ETAIREIA ORGANISMOU TOPIKIS AFTODIOIKISIS EL
- Blue Gold s.r.l. IT
- ELITTORAL ESTUDIOS DE INGENIERIA COSTERA Y OCEANOGRAFICA SLNE ES
- PIRAEUS PORT AUTHORITY SA EL
- ORGANISMOS FYSIKOU PERIVALLONTOS KAI KLIMATIKIS ALLAGIS EL
- Danish Coastal Authority DK
- AGJENCIA KOMBËTARE E PLANIFIKIMIT TË TERRITORIT AL
- THE COUNCIL OF THE BOROUGH OF TORBAY United Kingdom
- Verband kommunaler Unternehmen e.V. DE
- Esbjerg Kommune DK
- WESTCOUNTRY RIVERS TRUST LBG UK
- Elliniko Idryma Evropaikis kai Exoterikis Politikis (HELLENIC FOUNDATION FOR EUROPEAN AND FOREIGN POLICY) EL
- KLIYNTEH BULGARIA FONDATSIYA Bulgaria
- SDSN ASSOCIATION PARIS FR
- Stichting Global Resilient Cities Network NL
- ORGANIZATION OF THE BLACK SEA ECONOMIC COOPERATION TR
- SECRETARIATUL NATIONAL ROMAN AL RETELEI UNIVERSITATILOR DE LA MAREA NEAGRA RO
- BRIGAID CONNECT ES
- WATER EUROPE BE
News & Media
Climate Resilient Regions Through Systemic Solutions and Innovations, video.
The role of climate diplomacy in the midst of war, Emmanuella Doussis, Insider, 08.03.22.