The Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP) is an independent, non-governmental, nonprofit think tank, established in Athens, Greece, in 1988. Its mission is to conduct policy-oriented research and provide policy makers, academics and the public at large with authoritative information and substantiated policy recommendations, to contribute to the development of evidence-based responses to major European and foreign policy challenges.
ELIAMEP’ s expertise spans over a wide range of geographic and functional areas:
- EU institutions and policies
- the management of migration
- security, international relations and conflict resolution (with a special focus on the Balkans, the Black Sea, the former Soviet space, the Mediterranean/Middle East and Asia)
- transatlantic relations
- democracy, human rights and civic participation
- good governance and the rule of law
- gender equality as a cross-cutting theme
- religion, culture and diversity
- religion and culture
- the role of mass media in the era of fake news
- socioeconomic development, employment and cohesion
- energy, sustainability and climate change.
ELIAMEP is committed to excellence, open dialogue and policy deliberation, research, training and any other undertaking that falls within its spheres of interest. Based on international rankings, ELIAMEP is one of the leading think tanks at the regional, European and international level. In 2017, ELIAMEP received the Athens Academy of Athens award for its long-standing contribution in the public sphere.
With an experienced but steadily renewed team of researchers, ELIAMEP:
- participates in over 35 projects and collaborates with more than 300 institutions in Europe and worldwide (source: European Commission).
- was the first Research Centre in Greece to host an ERC grant in the area of Social Sciences and Humanities.
- it was ranked among the top 5 institutions, along with major universities, in the Socio-Economic Sciences and Humanities sector in Greece, both in terms of number and value of the projects funded by the 7th Framework Programme of the European Commission (source: Greek National Contact Point).
As part of its outreach strategy, ELIAMEP:
- undertakes various kinds of information and awareness-raising activities to promote public debate, such as publications, social media, conferences, training seminars and round-table discussions
- collaborates with key stakeholders in all areas of public life (government institutions, the NGO community, the media, universities and research centres, grant-making foundations, the private sector, etc.)
- is an active member of several international networks, such as the New Pact for Europe, Mercator European Dialogue, Euro-Mediterranean Study Commission (EuroMeSCo), the Arab Reform Initiative, the European Policy Institutes Network (EPIN), the European Expert Network on Culture and the Audiovisual (EENCA), the EU Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Consortium (EUNPD) and the OSCE Network of Think Tanks and Academic Institutions.
- publishes a detailed account of its activities in its Annual Reports. These include summaries of the main research activities, events, publications, networking, partnerships, fundraising and other actions implemented as part of ELIAMEP ’s annual work programme.