Within the framework of ERC-funded project HOMEACROSS, the Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP) is inviting applications for one full-time post-doctoral researcher vacancy. The researcher will join an interdisciplinary team under the supervision of Dr. Kalliopi Amygdalou, head of the HOMEACROSS project.
The five-year-long research project entitled ‘Space, Memory and the Legacy of the 1923 Population Exchange between Greece and Turkey’ is funded by the European Research Council (ERC StG, Horizon 2020) and is commencing on 1 February 2021.
Fixed term, starting 1 February 2021. The position is offered for two (2) years with the possibility of extension for three (3) additional years.
Greece and Turkey
The post-doctoral researcher will be based at ELIAMEP but will spend extensive periods of time in Izmir, Turkey. Main responsibilities include:
- Fieldwork (surveying and ethnographic work) in the Izmir province, under the supervision of Prof. Ela Çil (IYTE University).
- Archival research in Turkey.
- Assistance with bureaucratic procedures in Turkey.
- Literature review, writing and analysis.
- Participation in the organization of the dissemination activities of the project.
- Participation in team meetings, publications and conferences.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD in Architecture, Archaeology or related fields (awarded after January 2014 and before February 2021).
- Previous research experience in the areas of architecture, history of architecture, ethnographic work, Greece and Turkey, and/or architectural/archaeological surveying.
- Strong organisational, research and writing skills. Previous experience with EU research programmes is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in Turkish and English. Knowledge of Ottoman Turkish is highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) is desirable.
The Hellenic Foundation for European & Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP) is strongly committed to diversity within its community. ELIAMEP remains committed to equal opportunities in the evaluation and recruitment of its personnel, and it does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race or ethnic origin, religious and other convictions, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS:
Applications should include a cover letter in English including a detailed statement of research interests, a CV, and the names and contact details of two potential referees. Please also send an electronic copy of PhD thesis or a relevant writing sample (published or unpublished), in English; these will be treated confidentially. Please submit your application via email, titled ‘HOMEACROSS 01’, to: [email protected] before December 18th, 2020. Selected candidates will be invited to online interviews. All applications will be evaluated by the Evaluation Committee. If you wish to further inquire about the position, please establish direct contact with Dr Kalliopi Amygdalou, HOMEACROSS Principal Investigator, email [email protected]
The processing of information collected through job applications takes place in full compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 679/2016 of the European Union. In particular, personal data is subject to lawful processing in a transparent manner. The data are collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and are not processed in any way incompatible with the original purposes. By providing personal information, such as the “first and last name” and “email”, you agree and consent to the use and disclosure with the aim of receiving information about ELIAMEP’s activities.